In Tips on
August 10, 2011

Freshman Advice Vlog

Summer is over and it's time to go back to school. Get some tips here!

Hi Kind Friends! Sadly Summer is over. Bummer, I know. So today I have a freshman advice video where I share some advice for freshman in high school and in college. I would like your help with this as well, so please post in the comments your advice for incoming freshman as well. The more perspectives the better! Or even just general school advice would be great.

If you are starting school soon, congratulations! I hope either myself or one of the commenters can help you work through your concerns.

Here are a few school related videos as well as some makeup ones, just in case you need help with your look for the new school year.

The biggest thing to remember when starting school is to know that things are going to change. It’s okay to not make friends right away or to feel awkward at first. It takes time. I was such a different person in freshman year versus senior year.
What advice do you have for incoming freshman?
[Image: BossFight]

• Becky savage

I'm starting a new college this year (29th August) and I am so nervous, I won't know anyone. But I'm doing a animal management course, so I'm doing what I love.

August 10, 2011 at 1:58 pm Reply
  • Catarina Lourenço

In Portugal the education system is sort of different but I changed school last year and I only made real friends by the end of the year. They're amazing friends, though. I was in 9th grade and here that is not highschool yet. 10th grade is the beggining of high school and there are going to be a lot of new people so that's kind of scary… Still, I'm looking forward to it :)

August 10, 2011 at 2:16 pm Reply
  • justine domantay

Starting school is both nerve-wracking and exciting for me. When i went to High school, I wasn't that nervous because I was already familiar with the environment because most of my friends in elementary are also in my High school. But when i went to college, it's a whole different story because I have to study to another city so it's a whole different environment and I totally agree that you will be jumping from one group to another when you are in college. But luckily for us, our course has a block section so we don't usually change classmates until we were in our junior year so basically, I have the same classmates for the 1st 2years of my college life. I suggest to people who will be starting their school that try to be calm and cool, be friendly as much as possible, try to make friends in the first day of school so that you will have someone to be with during break time or lunch. Wear you most comfortable outfit on the first day. Make sure also you got everything you need like your class schedule so that you won't end up getting lost on you next class. Oh, BTW, pay attention to your class syllabus on the first day because some instructors usually give the class syllabus so you will have the idea on what to talk about or what your topics are, and make sure you get to read ahead of time with those topics so you will have confidence during the class just in case your professor calls you to recite. :) Well, i guess that is all I could say, Good luck!

August 10, 2011 at 2:38 pm Reply
  • Jennifer Baker

I'm not a freshman, but this is still helpful! I just graduated from a community college and have transferred to another university and it's like having to start all over again! I'm super excited and anxious and nervous but I feel like things are going to be alright. It's definitely nerve wracking to be thrown into a completely different environment, to be out of your comfort zone and to have the slate wiped clean, but there are so many opportunities that await!

August 10, 2011 at 4:12 pm Reply
  • Sunset_Rainbow212

such a useful vlog… I wished that you filmed this earlier (and that i found your channel then) when i started highshcool two years ago! these are all great tips! :)
    my tip: be friendly.. if you don't know anyone, just go up to random people and start a chitchat or something. that's what i do all the time.. lol.. im weird like that. also, take advantage of all the clubs available. join a few that suits your interest and there you'll meet people from all over the school. :) hope this is helpful!

August 10, 2011 at 8:05 pm Reply
  • Serina

i liked this…alot!im going to start my freshman year of highschool this year and it is truly nerve wrecking.especially since i've had to miss alot this summer.my little sister is really sick and shes been in and out of the hospital.i havent gotten any school shopping done,AND i had to miss my highschool prep day,which is today,cuz i didnt have a ride OR my mom!im so nervous right now,its not even funny,but your post is helping alot! :) thanks

August 11, 2011 at 6:46 pm Reply

I'm so happy to hear you are doing something you love, that is so important.

August 11, 2011 at 9:12 pm Reply

Good luck on your first week! I'm sure it will be wonderful.

August 11, 2011 at 9:13 pm Reply

Great tips, thanks Justine!

August 11, 2011 at 9:19 pm Reply

Very true. New opportunities!

August 11, 2011 at 9:28 pm Reply

It's great to be able to just walk up and meet people!

August 11, 2011 at 9:29 pm Reply

I'm sorry to hear about your sister! Everything will come into place though. If you ever want to talk send me a message.

August 11, 2011 at 10:56 pm Reply
  • Shaza

Starting college is so exciting! I wish I was doing it all over again. Making friends is a long and gradual process though but just chat to everyone you can and you'll soon find your way!

August 15, 2011 at 5:35 pm Reply
  • Carina

Im only in high school but my advice is to try the best to fit in. I know some won't agree with this but sometimes blending in is not that bad. I'm not advicing not to be yourself or to do things you shouldn't just to have friends but try not to be the odd one out all the time because many people would think you are weird. Of course if you want to be seen as the weird, fun, new girl that's perfectly ok because there might be some people just like you out there and it would be the start of a beautiful friendship but if you cannot take the mean comments or the bullying from people who just dont get it, my advice would be to step back and go with the flow :)

August 16, 2011 at 1:21 pm Reply
  • sheenaknits

The big thing to remember is to RELAX! You'll make friends, you'll do well in class, and you will be able to balance class with socializing (and work). Be prepared, make and keep a schedule (I block off Friday and Saturday evenings as my "down time" — even if I have to stay up late during the week or spend Saturday morning doing homework, I know I have that time to relax, watch a movie, do my nails, knit, or even go to bed early), treat your professors and teachers like the professionals they are.

I'd also recommend that you try to make a friend (or at least find a "study buddy") in each class, especially if you don't know anyone. Even introverts like me like having friends :)

Finally: Get enough sleep (take naps if you need them), eat healthy (try to go for at least one side salad a day, lots of fruit, drink a glass of water for every soda or cup of coffee), take your vitamins, and be vigilant about your health. And take study breaks on a regular basis — I go for about ten minutes for every half-hour (i.e., study for 20, take a quick walk/check facebook/whatever for ten, etc. etc.) and, when I'm not working on a Big Project, I tend to switch subjects after each break. Work with your attention span, rather than forcing your brain to do what it's not accustomed to.

August 24, 2011 at 3:45 am Reply