In Tips on
August 3, 2011

Back To School: Note Taking Tips

School note taking methods

Good morning Kind Friends. I’ve been requested to do some back to school videos, including organization tips, so here is the first video in the series on note taking tips.

Watch the video above for the actual tips.

Here are some other videos I have compiled that may be useful to you guys going back to school.

I hope those videos could help you. More coming soon!

When do you go back to school? I start August 23!

[Image]

• Catarina Lourenço

I only start school in September (that's the way we do it in Portugal :b) and I found all your Back to School videos extremely useful. About this video… I love color coding too :DD My best friend has the same kind of pen and, this is really creepy, I'm entering high school and I borrowed my calculator from my cousin and it's the same calculator you have!! Isn't that strange? xD

August 3, 2011 at 1:47 pm Reply
  • Jennifer Baker

We have very similar styles! I love the Five Star notebooks, and this past semester I used one five subject notebook for every class, and had a separate folder for each class. I found that it worked well, and was a lot easier than carrying around a binder for each class.

I'm done with math classes for the rest of my life! Thank goodness. Do you think I should keep my graphing calc?

I loved using Microsoft's OneNote for notes for lectures. It has a recording option and I loved being able to go back and listen to my history prof's lectures. The audio also highlighted whatever was typed for that section.

Also, whatever I typed, I made sure to copy in a notebook later. It helped me remember information better!

August 3, 2011 at 2:09 pm Reply
  • justine domantay

I graduated a year ago so I'm finished with college haha! It's cool, we have the same notebook ( though i only used it during my nursing review for the local board exam in our country) Mine was in red though and the five star notebook does really help a lot especially with its built-in folder/paper compartment at the beginning of each section where you could put your quizzes and stuff. But what I did with the notebook was I covered the red part of the notebook with a purple cover paper and customized it! I placed my name in front and drew some butterflies and hearts!(isn't it cute?) :) I think it will help for others also to create designs on the cover on their notebooks because i do that a lot and all of my college notebooks were actually customized!

In my course (nursing), it has a wide range of coverage, i mean topics are just insane and broad. Like with my Five Star notebook, I think I used 3sections of that in just 2months! But anyway, I bought some colorful pens and that is what I used. Different color for the title, the description, and things like that. It's like a different version of the highlighter method, which i did too way back in college :)

Well, i kinda like the writing method better than the computer method its because i can draw a lot of designs in the writing method and those designs help me during review and based on my experience, notes written with your own handwriting can be easily retained by you brain :) And my notebook is like a drawing and coloring book because it has lots of hearts, flowers, butterflies. smilies and colors :) In that way, it's easy for me to remember what i wrote about a certain topic. :) ***sorry for the long entry, i just felt like sharing today haha

August 3, 2011 at 4:07 pm Reply
  • Cym199603

This has been an extremely useful video! I'm thinking of getting Five Star notebooks for this year, so I'll see if it works well for me this year. :)

I usually use Word. I used to use Pages for mac but then I got Microsoft so it's easier to use. :)

August 4, 2011 at 12:18 am Reply
  • 성언 박

I'm still stuck in highschool bleugh..hahaha but I'm a senior this year! so I am pumped! but…on the downside, I have college apps starting so that's a bummer. Do you have any advice? I'm also taking the SAT1 again this october..I should prepare for it more eh? Thank you for posting the video before I go to school since my school starts next tuesday! ARGGH!

August 4, 2011 at 2:54 am Reply
  • nivika

Wow thanks for this, I've just recently bought 5 different notebooks one for each module. I didn't know about the note book lay out so thanks for sharing that, I may use this for my final year, I imagine it will be very useful for my thesis.

When i'm in a rush taking notes I always use a :( for disadvantages and :) for advantages. I don't start Uni until 26th September, so i'm off traveling in a few weeks to Rome and Barcelona.

August 4, 2011 at 7:30 am Reply
  • Carina

You are so organized and have amazing tips.Thanks a lot :)

August 4, 2011 at 12:32 pm Reply
  • Becky savage

I really enjoyed watching this video and learned a lot. I start my new college on the 29th, so nervous!

August 4, 2011 at 12:49 pm Reply

What a funny coincidence! Thanks for watching and reading =)

August 4, 2011 at 2:50 pm Reply

No, if you don't need it for class you probably shouldn't get it. It is pretty convenient but I would not purchase such an expensive calculator if I didn't have too. As for OneNote, my professors are weird. Most of the ones I met don't let you record lectures.

August 4, 2011 at 2:52 pm Reply

Love the butterflies! And no biggie, feel free to write as much as you want! I don't mind =)

August 4, 2011 at 2:54 pm Reply

Yeah I don't like Pages either. Glad to help!

August 4, 2011 at 2:55 pm Reply

Congratulations on being a senior! As for advice, I can't really say. As risky as it was, I only applied to one college (and thankfully got it) but the application process wasn't tricky or anything. I would go seek out your high school counselor. They know absolutely everything about applying to colleges and scholarship information. Good luck on your first day! I can't believe you start next week, so early!

August 4, 2011 at 2:58 pm Reply

Wow traveling to Rome and Barcelona?! Jealous! I want to do more traveling, sounds amazing. The smily faces is a really cute idea.

August 4, 2011 at 2:59 pm Reply

You're welcome!

August 4, 2011 at 2:59 pm Reply

Don't be nervous, you will be great!

August 4, 2011 at 3:00 pm Reply
  • Shaza

I use the same kinda notebooks too! and have done for the last couple of years also lol :) they're so handy cos I never have to worry about packing the right notebooks for the day, they're all in one!

August 5, 2011 at 12:38 am Reply