In My Journal on
November 9, 2011

Trying to Live Minimally

Starting to learn how to live more minimally

My fiance Chris and his sister Lina flabbergast me. Chris has a mechanical pencil that he used from 15 to 24 years old (all of my mechanical pencils get lost or break within a year) and Lina has shoes that she still uses from middle school (now she is in college). How do they do it? This isn’t an anomaly for them, pretty much everything they buy they use up as much as possible and everything they own is in pristine condition. I admire it so much.

Since I was little I’ve been trained to buy buy buy. When something is on sale, buy 12 (even if you don’t like the product that much). If I see a gorgeous nail polish I should buy it even though I have two polishes along the same shade range already. Clearly, I need more than five similar eyeshadow sets even though I barely wear eyeshadow. I’ve never known anything else.

That is just stupid behavior. I have been so wasteful my whole life! Only this past year have I been making strides to change my spending habits and in the past few months I’ve been trying to change how I use my products.

I’m going to do my best to live more minimally. I’ll be finishing up all the current products I have before I purchase more items in that same category. I’ll find alternative uses for items I have stored up.

Look forward to seeing posts over the new few weeks on how I’m using up some products I don’t like in a variety of ways. You would be surprised how multi-purpose some products can be! I’m excited about trying to live minimally (or just more within my means), what about you?

Do you shop a little too much like I do?

• Krystyn

I actually dislike shopping very much. Clothes pretty much have to wear out or totally not fit, otherwise, I'll make them work!

November 11, 2011 at 7:02 pm Reply
  • chantilly

i feel like i used to be more like this when i was just out of high school… i had plenty of disposable income, and was still living at home. for the most part, i'm glad to live minimally now, but sometimes i just want to buy that cute $100 dress!! x

November 11, 2011 at 7:31 pm Reply
  • Rebecca Kelsey

Really? I'm a horrible impulse shopper. It is just so much fun for me.

November 12, 2011 at 4:47 pm Reply
  • Rebecca Kelsey

A splurge every now and again is understandable, I think. Sometimes you need to treat yourself. It's just I give myself too many of those treats, lol.

November 12, 2011 at 4:48 pm Reply
  • alexandra16

well it is true that we spoil and waste many things …i think this topic "trying to live minimally" is very helpfull..congratulations rebecca

November 19, 2011 at 11:37 am Reply
  • Lexiesmom

I was raised by the saying above. My Mom was a widow with 3 kids and a mortgage so we went without and it never occured to us that we were poor, its just how we lived. We had no car, no washing machine and everything had to last forever. Nothing could be replaced if it wore out. School clothes were not much to speak of. So until I made very good money and got married I never shopped or cared about material items. Now that I am doing well, I have only the basics with a minimual amount of stuff, to me it is excess to have material items and not necessary in life. LIfe is about moments, people , living and experiences, not material items. I love fashion as much as the next girl, but my 2 pairs of shoes I allow myself a year are just enough. My clothing comes from thrift and clearance , and I am a very happy person. I see so many with only excess on their minds. We all need to do with less. Try it as a lifestyle

nd you will realize how important it is.

November 27, 2011 at 9:57 am Reply