In Beauty, My Journal on
June 13, 2012

Switching to Cruelty-Free

Before I even get started, I’m not trying to preach or convince you to switch to a cruelty-free lifestyle. I’m just explaining where I’m going with this decision and how it will effect this blog.

*This post was last updated on: September 3, 2013*

I’ve been debating whether or not I should post this for about a month now but I figured someone would notice my intentions sooner or later and it would be better if I explained myself in detail.

In May I decided to become cruelty-free. Cruelty-free means that I am no longer going to support brands that test their products or ingredients on animals. This was a very personal and difficult decision for me, I had been thinking about doing it for over a year but kept changing my mind because of the inconvenience and how it would change my buying habits. After I started blogging, I realized it would change my work as well. So I hesitated.

Then a few months back, I decided I’m being a hypocrite. I admire people that are “green” or eco-conscious, vegans and vegetarians, DIY driven, work-at-home, cruelty-free, and generally lovely kind people…. Why admire someone for doing something you have always wanted to do but then you don’t do it yourself  or even attempt it? That makes absolutely no sense.

So, I started changing my life around. I decided to dump my fears at the curb and explore working at home after graduation, among a few other changes.

Why do I want to be cruelty-free? I don’t think animal testing is necessary with all the new possible testing techniques. Why harm unnecessarily? It’s that simple. I understand that medicine is often tested on animals, I’m currently not boycotting medication.

UPDATE: See my next Cruelty-free steps.

It took me so long to come to this decision because of the exhaustive amount of brands that do test. A great deal of the products I own were from these brands and I didn’t want to give up my favorites. It also isn’t as easy as you may think to find cruelty-free brands. Brands may say they are cruelty-free but then they buy ingredients from suppliers that do test on animals. Also, a company that was previously cruelty-free (Like MAC) may decide to expand to China, one of the countries that requires animal testing.

It is honestly a very inconvenient change for me, absolutely everything I buy now has to be researched.

But it’s worth it.

What will change on rebeccakelsey.com?: I am no longer accepting free products for review from brands that test products on animals and am no longer accepting sponsorships from these brands.

You may have also noticed this at the bottom of posts (from mid-May forward):

+ = Brand animal testing whereabouts unknown or unclear.
* = This brand tests on animals.
All non-tagged brands free of animal testing.

Note: I am not currently boycotting brands that have parent companies that test on animals. I don’t currently disclose to that brands that have parent companies that test so that is up to you to find out.

Since I also strive to be more eco-conscious, I am not going to out-right throw away the products I already own from animal-tested brands. It is going to take me over a year (powders take forever to use up!) to rid these products from my collection. I’ve also started donating products to woman’s shelters so they can be put to good use. So the disclaimer above will be in effect until all of said products are out of my collection.

One important thing to note: I don’t intend to be a cruelty-free pushing blog. Other then this post and the disclaimers at the end of each post, you probably won’t hear about this again (unless it becomes highly requested). I’m not ashamed of my choice, I just don’t want to be pushy. I wont judge you if you decide to purchase from cruelty-free brands since it took me so long to come to the decision myself, that wouldn’t be fair. This blog is just a reflection of who I am and I’m changing a bit. If you do however want a cruelty-free blog with a lot of content and features along those lines, I would suggest My Beauty Bunny. Jen and the staff writers there are wonderful and provide a great resource for people looking to learn more about cruelty-free brands.

So, that is my thoughts…

Resources:
If you’d like to sign the pledge to be cruelty-free, go here.
An explanation of some of the things done to animals that are tested on.
My favorite Cruelty-Free blog: My Beauty Bunny

My favorite cruelty-free brands:
Tarte
Lush
Physician’s Formula

{image source}

P. S. I don’t plan on becoming a vegetarian or vegan… at least not yet. I haven’t turned the idea down entirely but I do want to experience it for at least a month before I’m 30.

• Shai Smith

This is awesome!!! If you weren’t already one of my favorite bloggers, you are now! ♥

I was vegan for three months before my daughter became allergic to everything on the planet. I highly suggest it, even if just as an experiment, because of this: not using meat causes you to explore new foods, and new recipes. I had a blast, and created some of the most awesome food I’ve ever tasted. Even as a meat-eater now, I still implement many of those foods and recipes.

June 13, 2012 at 1:38 pm Reply
    • rebeccakelsey

Haha thank you Shai! Very true! I didn’t even think about the new experiences I may have. I’ll have to wait until I have my own place first though so I can control the food around me, so much temptation. It’s hard enough to stick to my one-soda-a-week rule as it is.

Kindness is the best accessory,
      Rebecca

June 13, 2012 at 3:19 pm Reply
  • Annabel

Hey! Too Faced Cosmetics is (what I think) a great cruelty-free makeup company, and very comparable to Urban Decay. I love their eyeshadow sets. They’re so easy to use! I’m sure you’ve already looked into this company, but just wanted to double-check!

Annabel

June 13, 2012 at 7:20 pm Reply
    • rebeccakelsey

Thank you Annabel, that’s really considerate of you. I’ve been looking a lot into Too Faced and a whole lot into Tarte. I’m really interested in Tarte lately but need to wait to finish up a few things before I purchase.

Kindness is the best accessory,
      Rebecca

June 13, 2012 at 7:27 pm Reply
  • carol

I love your post your such an brilliant blogger you just hook my interest to read it.

June 15, 2012 at 4:44 am Reply
    • rebeccakelsey

Thank you Carol!

Kindness is the best accessory,
      Rebecca

June 15, 2012 at 11:22 am Reply
  • Sarah

I’m so happy you’re going cruelty-free! I just saw a documentary about vivisection called “Maximum Tolerated Dose” and it is a despicable thing. And even then, it’s nothing compared to how animals are tortured in factory farms. I hope you continue going cruelty-free with non-makeup items as well!
    You should go vegan! Best, easiest, and most selfless thing I ever did. I put going vegan off for years, but when I turned 17, I was like “No, I can’t eat this or buy this because it is against everything I believe in.” And I just did it! I stopped buying non-vegan things and buying products tested on animals, and buying leather/wool/silk/fur. My conscious is completely clear, and the food is amazing! Anyway, I’m totally gonna be checking out your blog more often now that you’re cruelty-free!

September 26, 2012 at 6:26 pm Reply
    • rebeccakelsey

Thank you so much for your insight Sarah! I’m happy you’ll be stopping by more, I’d love to get to know you!

Kindness is the best accessory,
      Rebecca

September 26, 2012 at 8:27 pm Reply
  • Beauty In A Bottle

This is such a great post. It really made me think about my own make up. I do try to buy cruelty free products, but there are so many other brands out there that use animal ingredients or test. I’m now thinking I might do a 1 month trial of cruelty free brands to see if I could do it all the time.

I think what makes it hard to go cruelty free, is that you’re either forced to throw out lots of products (and money!!!) or still use cruelty brands and feel almost like a fraud.

December 4, 2012 at 11:52 pm Reply
    • rebeccakelsey

I know what you mean! It is hard to continue to use products.

Kindness is the best accessory,
      Rebecca

December 13, 2012 at 10:25 pm Reply
  • Samantha

Before I ask this I just want to preface it by saying that I don’t think there is a “right” or “wrong” answer to this question (partially because I feel that it is entirely an opinion thing) and I also totally accept and “unsure” response.

That being said, I know there is some controversy with places like The Body Shop because they are owned by L’Oreal which does test on animals. Seeing how you were a marketing major, and I also have a business background, what are your thoughts on supporting The Body Shop (or generally cruelty-free lines or brands owned by companies that are not entirely cruelty-free)?

On one hand you have the “don’t support them” because the money ultimately goes to L’Oreal in a sense. And on the other hand in supporting them it can show L’Oreal that cruelty-free is a popular thing and cause them to move towards that standard for all their brands and companies that they own. I personally like the idea of the latter, except I feel as though in reality it does not always work that perfectly.

December 13, 2012 at 6:00 pm Reply
    • rebeccakelsey

I’m very in the middle on that topic. If I am in between two cruelty-free products and can’t decide, I’ll consider who owns them or their environmental stances as a deciding factor. I’m considering not purchasing from cruelty-free brands that have parent companies that test as a possible next step once I phase out all of the products from my routine that do test, but I’m not as strict in that sense yet.

Kindness is the best accessory,
      Rebecca

December 13, 2012 at 10:23 pm Reply
  • Aubrey

I’m really so thrilled that you are doing this! I’ve been vegan and cruelty free since 2008 (though I went vegetarian in 2007) and I just can’t express how it’s changed my life. I’m so happy for you, for the animals and for the planet. Cheers to you Rebecca!

June 1, 2013 at 11:15 am Reply
    • rebeccakelsey

Thank you Aubrey!

Kindness is the best accessory,
      Rebecca

June 4, 2013 at 9:18 am Reply
  • Hip

It’s crazy not to go vegan with all the GMO foods out there nowadays. Nice post.

June 25, 2013 at 2:23 pm Reply
  • Lauren

Hi Rebecca, I to have recently made the switch to everything being cruelty-free. I have been doing a lot of research for the past 3 or 4 months, and I’m so happy to hear you are doing this! I’m a regular on your YouTube channel, and I find your videos very helpful! Thank you so much for everything you do to get the word around about animal testing! You are such an inspirational person, and I look forward to new YouTube videos and blog posts! ^_^

Musically yours,

-Lauren

June 26, 2013 at 6:22 pm Reply
    • rebeccakelsey

Thank you very much Lauren. I really appreciate your kindness and support.

Kindness is the best accessory,