In Beauty on
January 14, 2013

Learning to Live Minimally: I Don’t Use Shampoo

Rebecca Kelsey Doesn't Use Shampoo

I don’t use shampoo. I haven’t used it consistently since October 2011. No, my hair isn’t dirty. It is actually so much better now than it ever was when I did use shampoo. Get all of the details about my hair journey in the video below.

Videos & people mentioned:

1. Sarah’s channel
  2. Sarah’s video on the Curly Girl method
  3. How-to wash hair with two conditioners
  4. What are silicones?

Products mentioned:

1. My DIY conditioner
  2. Organix Keratin Conditioner
  3. Wen Cleansing Conditioner (c/o)
  4. My review of Wen

I believe that learning to not use shampoo has been really helpful to my Learning to Live Minimally resolution. It has really helped me spend less and produce less plastic waste. I truly believe that using shampoo consistently is a commercial idea that everyone (including myself) fell for. It takes a long time to transition out of this idea but now my hair couldn’t be happier.

Have you tried going shampoo-free or are considering it? Chat me up on Facebook.

• annelise

i heard about you and your “no-poo” thing from chloe at cjvzheartsyou.com. I’m so impressed with this!! i did a “no-hair-do” 365-day challenge, but one of the ONLY things i used was shampoo. i love the idea of challenging yourself and trying something different!

February 1, 2013 at 4:29 pm Reply
    • rebeccakelsey

Thanks for stopping by Aunie! I followed By Bye Beehive and your Yes To Stylista (so cute), I’m just a horrible horrible lurker. A weird habit for a blogger to have. Hi! Hehe. I need to go and thank Chloe, she is so sweet.

Kindness is the best accessory,
      Rebecca

February 1, 2013 at 6:02 pm Reply
  • emily

I’m also visiting from Chloe’s blog, and I’ve heard about this before, and really considered it! But I’m so scared! I feel like the first few weeks are probably the hardest while your hair adjusts to no shampoo? What do you feel are the benefits for your hair, and how has your hair changed (for better and/or for worse)? I’m so curious!

February 1, 2013 at 4:35 pm Reply
    • rebeccakelsey

Thanks for stopping by Emily! Chloe is the best. The biggest changes I’ve noticed has been my frizz. It is no almost nonexistent! For people that have curly hair it can make them more defined though I didn’t experience that. Someone told me that my hair grew back pretty fast (in the summer it was a little above my shoulders) but I can’t say if that’s true or not. A downside has been that I find it hard to keep volume in my hair. I usually keep my hair in a bun a little bit before I film so it always looks more voluminous on camera, haha. The first few weeks are bad for a lot of people but you could always hide it with fashionable sock buns!

Kindness is the best accessory,
      Rebecca

February 1, 2013 at 6:07 pm Reply
  • Hip

Nice article, i stopped using shampoo about 3 months ago and it’s been going great. How long ago did you stop using shampoo?

June 25, 2013 at 2:18 pm Reply
    • rebeccakelsey

In October 2011. It’s been awhile! I’m glad it’s going well for you too.

Kindness is the best accessory,
      Rebecca

June 27, 2013 at 7:45 am Reply

Hey Cous!

So, I love this idea. I have a bad allergy to sulfates and other similar chemicals in shampoos and body washes. I’ve had to switch to expensive/hard to find shampoos and bar soaps for my sensitive skin. If I could shed shampoo altogether that would be great. I’ve always had really oily hair though. I can’t go a day without washing it unless I’ve had a perm done. It seems like putting conditioner on my scalp actually helps contribute to how oily my hair gets too. I know you’re not an expert, but I was wondering if you had any thoughts or advice. <3

July 29, 2013 at 12:51 pm Reply
    • rebeccakelsey

Hi Heather!

Conditioner only methods are great for oily hair types. HOWEVER, there is generally a transition period of a few weeks (varies person to person). At first your hair will be even oilier but then it will level out after an adjustment period and produce less oil then you do currently. When you give your hair a lot of moisture it learns to produce less of it. Since you shampoo your hair every day it actually teaches your hair to produce oil quicker so it doesn’t feel deprived from frequent washes. Hair is strangely smart! If you don’t mind using a lot of buns and up-dos or ponytails for a few weeks then your hair will become very happy.

Some people don’t go through transition periods while others have it only for a week and then extreme cases of three months. It’s impossible to know until you try. I had barely any transition period.

Best wishes to you! Let me know if you try it out.

Kindness is the best accessory,