In Happiness, My Journal on
July 25, 2013

The Pity Party Day

how to have a pity party

Yesterday I got some bad news. An upcoming video partnership feel through. I was devastated. Not only is the brand wonderful (I’m a big fan), they were offering me a sponsorship that I had planned on reinvesting into my blog. It was enough to cover most of the cost of a new camera and a desktop computer (this little laptop is off to pasture soon). It was a dream opportunity… but it just wasn’t going to work out.

In my sadness, I started inadvertently throwing a pity party. I do these from time to time. I just sulked, sulked, sulked. An old habit from my high school years, no doubt.

My pity parties have upgraded the past few years though. There is a method to the madness.

1. Sulk (in moderation). Lay down in bed, ponder, and come up with a million alternate scenarios of “what if.” However, don’t do so for more than two hours.Β

This may sound crazy but I see nothing wrong with acknowledging the big bummer scenario you are in, as long as you set an end point. You can’t sulk all day.

2. After you acknowledge your bad scenario, do something fun. What have you been wanting to do but you haven’t had the time?

My answer to this question is face masks and mani/pedi. I haven’t painted my toe nails in literally two months. They didn’t look pretty.

3. The final step, what little things do you love to indulge in (different from the fun in step two)?Β

My favorite indulgence is TV shows and movies. I love to have marathons and become engrossed in characters. So, I watched episodes of Roswell and Pretty Little Liars. It was nice. I just vegetated in bed with my computer in my lap watching Netflix and Hulu.

Why is this the right way to pity party? Because the next morning feels great. I’m completely invigorated. New energy for a new day. Time to start over.

Yes, that particular brand partnership would have been great. It just wasn’t the right time. Something else is right around the corner, I know that now.

• Mrs. ShuGar
    Twitter:

I’m so sorry things didn’t work out. Life throws you curve balls like this. Give yourself time to sulk and then pamper yourself. I am sure a bigger and better opportunity awaits you!

Carmen
    Mrs. ShuGar recently posted..His HappinessMy Profile

July 25, 2013 at 2:20 pm Reply
    • rebeccakelsey
      Twitter:

Hi Carmen! Thanks for stopping by and commenting again. I really appreciate that you’ve been stopping by often. I just wanted to let you know that I do notice that =)

Kindness is the best accessory,
      Rebecca
      rebeccakelsey recently posted..Easy Headband CurlsMy Profile

July 25, 2013 at 5:49 pm Reply
  • bp
    Twitter:

boo…. am sorry about this let down. I agree, throw that pretty party, make the pouty face and go through all of it. You still have a great attitude!
    bp recently posted..Random Acts of AwesomenessMy Profile

July 25, 2013 at 3:05 pm Reply
    • rebeccakelsey
      Twitter:

Thank you! I just checked out your post, random awesomeness does happen! I think it’s totally cool you took an iphoneography class, I didn’t know that existed.

Kindness is the best accessory,
      Rebecca
      rebeccakelsey recently posted..Easy Headband CurlsMy Profile

July 25, 2013 at 5:57 pm Reply
  • Alyssa | all things beautiful
    Twitter:

Haha I love this :) Sometimes all you need is a good pity party to make yourself feel better. For me, it helps me move on quicker.

Sorry your collab fell through, but maybe this just means something better is coming along!
    Alyssa | all things beautiful recently posted..curse of the night owlMy Profile

July 25, 2013 at 4:58 pm Reply
    • rebeccakelsey
      Twitter:

Thank you Alyssa! I’m glad you understand, I didn’t realize how many people would really get it. Hopefully something better will come along, as you said. I’m off to read your post now =)

Kindness is the best accessory,
      Rebecca
      rebeccakelsey recently posted..Easy Headband CurlsMy Profile

July 25, 2013 at 5:58 pm Reply
    • rebeccakelsey
      Twitter:

Hi again! I tried commenting on your post but Discus was having an error. I just wanted to say that I find it the easiest to fall asleep when I stop using electronics at least two hours before bed. Hope that helps! I’m starting my own happiness project next month, I can’t wait to share some of it.

Kindness is the best accessory,
      Rebecca
      rebeccakelsey recently posted..Workouts of the Day #2 (7/21/2013)My Profile

July 25, 2013 at 6:04 pm Reply
  • Lexi

Good call. I did this yesterday. I had been traveling/working through the weekend and I was tired and run down. So I asked my boss if I could work from home the rest of the day and I did some light work while catching up on a good TV. Then took myself out for a nice mani and pedi. :) Today, I feel much better, happier and motivated to work. Also bought myself a new lens for my camera so that I can take new and nicer photos for something I really love–blogging.

August 8, 2013 at 1:45 pm Reply