In Reading on
January 12, 2016

The Best Young Adult Books I Read in 2015

Book recommendations for those that love young adult books and dystropian fiction

My favorite thing about young adult books is that they cover the really emotional age where teens are finding out who they are and where they stand in the world, which is a genre I am all about. Especially if you throw in a dash of dystopia and magic.

Today I’m sharing with you all five of the best young adult books I read last year, they all happen to be part of series’ so if you give these stories a shot you’ll end up with a lot of reading material. Four of the five are dystopian and one is a time-travel romance so we’ve got some fun plots to talk about.

In no particular order, my favorite five books I enjoyed reading in 2015:

1. Shatter Me by Tahera Maffi: Remember when I said this list was in no particular order? I lied. This book was placed at the top of the list because it is now my favorite book of all time. Shatter Me covers the life of Juliet, a girl born with a touch that kills. Literally. Abandoned by her family, we follow Juliette and the life she leads after she is abandoned by her family. This story is gripping, making me want to scream and cry simultaneously.

2. Matched by Ally Condie: This is a new series I started last month, where everything is decided for you by the government using statistics meant to create the optimum efficiency. But when Cassia is accidentally matched with two husbands, she starts to fall for the mistake and questions everything she has ever believed.

Both Shatter Me and Matched are narrated on Audible by Kate Simses and she does such an amazing job. If you don’t have an audible subscription, sign up at audibletrial.com/rebecca and get one of the above books for free. You won’t regret it! She is so talented.

A video sharing this information:

3. Ruby Red by Kerstin Gier: This is a very unique time-travel young adult book, adapted from German. It stars Gwyneth, a girl born into a time-traveling family. Every few generations, a time-traveler is born and Gwyneth has been lead to believe her cousin, Charlotte, is that person. But despite all of Charlotte’s training, when the day of her first reported time-traveling incident was supposed to happen, Gwyneth time travels instead. Surprise!

4. The Heir by Kiera Cass: This is the fourth book in The Selection Series. The first three books in the series that covers the America Singer as she participates in basically a reality show to win the love of the future king of their dystopian society. This fourth book, released in 2015, covers America’s daughter as she participated in a similar scenario. The fifth and final book comes out later this year.

The author Kiera also has a YouTube channel that I love watching. She hasn’t updated it in almost a year, but the content she’s put up in the past has really helped me get to know the author and her family – which has been so fun.

5. Winter by Marissa Meyer: This is the last book in a series of fairytale retellings. The series follows different versions of Cinderella, Red Ridding Hood, Rapunzel, and Snow White as they take down a threat from a colony on the moon and fight the plague. Now that is a fun plot!

There you have it, Kind Friends, the five book series I really enjoyed this past year.

Want to keep updated on what I’m reading? Add me on Goodreads.

What were your favorite books of 2015? I’d love to know what you’ve been reading.

• Robin Rue (

Those all sound like awesome reads. I am always looking for new suggestions, so I will check these out.

January 13, 2016 at 11:20 am Reply
  • Kori

I can’t say that I’ve read a new fiction book in quite some time. I do try to re-read Pride and Prejudice every month though.

January 13, 2016 at 3:20 pm Reply
  • Kassie

Sending this to a friend with tweens! Thanks for the list, I’m sure she’ll appreciate it. :)
    Kassie recently posted..Wanderlust Wednesday Link Up #9My Profile

January 13, 2016 at 6:20 pm Reply
  • Jannine

Looks like a great reading list. I’ll definitely pass it along :)
    Jannine recently posted..6 FITNESS APPS TO HELP YOU ACHIEVE YOUR GOALSMy Profile

January 13, 2016 at 7:03 pm Reply
  • Roxanne

Great leads on some new books to read!! I’ve never really considered this genre before, but now I’m curious to give it a try!
    Roxanne recently posted..She’s Come UndoneMy Profile

January 13, 2016 at 10:41 pm Reply
  • Blythe A.
    Twitter:

What a great list for YA lovers. It reminds I really need to start reading more again.

January 13, 2016 at 11:02 pm Reply
  • Erica Brooks
    Twitter:

I love a good mystery and personal development books. These books sound really good too.
    Erica Brooks recently posted..Beautiful Swarovski Necklace Earrings Set SA7207 in Silver or GoldMy Profile

January 14, 2016 at 12:41 am Reply
  • LydiaF
    Twitter:

The Ruby Red book and series sounds interesting. I’m no longer a young adult, but it doesn’t matter as long as the writer is a good story teller.
    LydiaF recently posted..Thai Spiced Fish {#FoodOfTheWorld}My Profile

January 14, 2016 at 7:30 am Reply
  • Allie

I’m so glad I’m not the only adult out there still enjoying young adult fiction! I’ll probably never grow out of it. I’ll definitely have to check these out.

January 14, 2016 at 11:01 am Reply
  • Rose Sahetapy

They are all look great to put on the list, but The Ruby Red book sounds full of adventures.

January 14, 2016 at 1:29 pm Reply
  • krystle cook

Great list! I’ll need a list like this when my kid’s get older.
    krystle cook recently posted..Valentine’s Day Giveway, Win a $50 Gift Card and MoreMy Profile

January 14, 2016 at 3:38 pm Reply
  • MyTeenGuide

Those sound like interesting reads. I will share this with my niece.
    MyTeenGuide recently posted..7 Funniest AFV Clips To Crack You Up #AFVMy Profile

January 14, 2016 at 9:05 pm Reply
  • Stacey

I love YA lit. All of these tittles are new to me – I will need to check one or two out.
    Stacey recently posted..Hosting a Winter Tea Party #LifesBetterTogetherMy Profile

January 15, 2016 at 2:53 am Reply
  • Kelly B.

I’ve heard a lot about Ruby Red, it sounds like a fantastic story! I read a few John Green novels last year, haven’t had time for much else!
    Kelly B. recently posted..Proactiv 3-Step System ReviewMy Profile