In Events on
February 18, 2016

How CVS Is Changing the Drugstore Landscape

Last November, I was invited to a Social Media Influencer Series event called #CVSMeetUps in Miami, FL where CVS/pharmacy showed local influencers the great new work they are doing, rebranding the stores to be more than just a convenient place to buy snacks, but rather a health and beauty destination. It was a really enjoyable event that showed me how much CVS cares about their customers, so when I realized (to my horror) that I had actually not blogged about the event – I started putting together this post to share with you all the details.

First, I’d like to thank Delia Mooney and the other event coordinators for inviting me to this meetup – it was a really enjoyable experience and I particularly enjoyed their attention to detail when inviting me. They made sure to pinpoint on the tour things that appealed to my particular writing style and audience, the attention to detail they paid to each invitee was wonderful.

When I first heard that CVS was ditching cigarettes, before being invited to this event, I was ecstatic. I’m a firm supporter in lowering the rate of smokers and seeing that CVS was working to make this dangerous habit less convenient made me feel like they really cared. This event showed me all of the other health initiatives they were putting together and the whole picture became much clearer.

CVS and their new healthy options

The first stop on the CVS tour was their new health-food options, featuring a healthy corner designed to make grabbing a guilt-free snack easier. Sure, it still had some of the “fun” snack items like Dorritos, but the emphasis was on making baked, whole grain, and minimal ingredient items easier to find and more appealing – which I think they definitely achieved.

Health and pharmacy options at CVS

Then in the vitamin and health sections, we were shown some of their new CVS branded items to help customers heal and stay healthy at a great price, including cool new products like manuka honey infused items.

Natural and cruelty-free beauty options at CVS

The most exciting section for me, however, was the new beauty aisle. Not only have they expanded the product offerings, but CVS has added many natural skincare alternatives. I was drooling over some of these and almost stopped paying attention becuase I was making a mental to-buy list.

At this point, Delia was sweet enough to point out some of the cruelty-free options CVS was sharing, making note that most of my followers don’t use products tested on animals. I really appreciated her attention to detail.

CVSMeetUps

The networking event afterward, at Bio Tuscan Grille, was a lot of fun. I really enjoyed speaking with other local bloggers. Delia even pointed out what food I was allergic too! Seriously, she was amazing.

CVSMeetUps event

And hello, to-die-for food. Any event with food is an event I want to go too. Seriously. Are you throwing an event with catering in Miami, FL? Reach me at my contact page.

I’m kidding.

Kind of.

CVSMeetUps Goodie Bag

To top off #CVSMeetUps, everyone that attended got a goodie bag of some of their new product offerings.

Overall, I was really happy to see everything CVS has been up too and I’m happy to be a loyal customer. Health and conveinance don’t have to be mutually exclusive, I’m happy to see CVS blurring that line.

What is your favorite go-to healthy snack? Can you get the ingredients at CVS?

I’ve been pretty obsessed with anything avocado lately. What about you?

• Robin Rue (

My CVS never sold cigarettes, but I am glad other stores that did stopped. Sounds like a great event :)

February 18, 2016 at 1:59 pm Reply
  • Yanique

CVS is pretty popular in my area and I’m glad to see that they are making ot easier for people to make healthier choices. I never understood why a pharmacy would sell cigarettes

February 18, 2016 at 5:04 pm Reply
  • jill conyers

What a fun event to attend as an influencer. The in real life events are one of the best things about blogging. I’ve never been to a CVS but clearly I need to.

February 18, 2016 at 5:55 pm Reply

Are there not any in your neighborhood? Yes, I would love to go to more in-person events. I don’t live downtown, and I feel like that’s where most of the excitement is haha.

February 19, 2016 at 10:04 am Reply
  • Beeb Ashcroft

I LOVE that they are getting rid of cigarettes! I carry the same sentiment that cutting down on the accessibility may cut down on the use in general.

February 18, 2016 at 9:19 pm Reply
  • ~ carmen ~

I has to go to CVS every few days when I was in college but not so much anymore. It looks like they are moving on up. :]

// ▲ itsCarmen.com ▲

February 18, 2016 at 11:08 pm Reply
  • michele

We had a CVS come into our neighborhood… best drugstore ever! what a fun event!!

February 19, 2016 at 12:07 am Reply
  • Ana De- Jesus

Glad you had fun at the CVS meetup those deserts looked delicious and I liked all the goodies on offer! What was your favourite part of the event?

February 19, 2016 at 3:28 am Reply

Good question! Probably seeing how varied all of the local bloggers were. No two people were the same.

February 19, 2016 at 10:02 am Reply
  • Michelle

That’s fabulous that CVS is changing their offerings like this, especially ditching the cigarettes! Such a positive step towards health!

February 19, 2016 at 7:49 am Reply
  • Deb- It's me, debcb!

We love CVS. You can buy just about anything there. I think the message their sending with no smokes is smart. D

February 19, 2016 at 9:42 am Reply
  • Pam

I had no idea CVS was making all of these changes. I’m going to have to take a look around the next time I’m in there for the pharamacy.

February 19, 2016 at 1:37 pm Reply
  • Stacey

I shop often at our local CVS. They always seem to have what I need and it is in a convent location. I was very happy when they took the stand against cigarettes. If you are about health, than you should be anti-smoking. Kuddos to CVS!

February 19, 2016 at 1:52 pm Reply

That sounds like such a fun event to attend! I love how they are redesigning their stores as well! And anything that is cruelty free, or moving in that direction is a win in my book.

February 19, 2016 at 3:48 pm Reply
  • Koninika

Such an interesting post raising a very important discussion point and bringing to light an issue that needs to be addressed. We often neglect to look around us and try to understand the market/retail so I appreciate knowledge through posts such as yours. Thanks for sharing!

February 19, 2016 at 6:04 pm Reply
  • Jen

I have a weird thing where I love to see a store remodeled. It sounds like you had a wonderful event and a good time networking with CVS

February 20, 2016 at 2:35 am Reply
  • Kara | Daily Opulence

Love CVS! They are always so forward thinking!

Shop & Blog | http://www.dailyopulence.com

February 20, 2016 at 4:34 pm Reply
  • CourtneyLynne

Hehehe I’ve never been a smoker so I honestly had no clue if CVS sold them
    Or not! Makes sense for a pharmacy to not sell them

February 22, 2016 at 9:45 pm Reply
  • Amelia

I like CVS, but they’re pretty expensive compared to other places in my area.

March 2, 2016 at 12:18 pm Reply