In Motherhood, Sponsored on
October 19, 2016

My First Month as a Parent

New parent tips for dealing with newborns

I’ve been a parent for 6 weeks now and boy has it been a learning experience. Today I’m going to share with you the products and practices that helped keep me and Chris sane during the month and half so far. This post has been sponsored by UPRIGHT, an innovative product that helps train your posture – which has been so helpful to me when it comes to breastfeeding.

Before I share these new parent tips, have you noticed anything different? Don’t you love the new blog makeover? I’m so happy to finally be in the 21st century now. I’ve loved my blog look over the years, but my site has never been easy to use on mobile so I’m glad to have upgraded.

Now, onto my tips. Don’t forget to comment your thoughts on both this topic and my new site. I’d love to know your opinion.

When you become a parent, suddenly your whole life and all of your time belongs to someone else and that is not an easy transition to make. Chris and I have had some trouble “shifting” our identity, so to speak. No matter how much you love your child, transitioning into a caregiver role changes you and that’s not always easy to cope with.

Here are the three things that have helped with the process.

New Parent Tips That’ll Keep You Sane

Tip #1: Practice Self-care.

Things like staying hydrated, being careful to maintain proper posture, keeping up with your hygiene, having quiet time or meditating… The little things that you may take for granted will dramatically help you feel more like yourself as you adjust to parenthood.

For example, using the UPRIGHT trainer to teach your body proper posture will help you stay confident. Slouching is not good for morale!

Tip #2: Keep Up With Your Hobbies

At least once a week, you have to spend time with your hobbies. My hobby is writing, and thankfully Chris and I are able to take turns taking care of  Jack so that we both can have time doing things that are fun. I try to do so every day, but working on your hobbies one-three times a week would also work if daily is too difficult to maintain.

Having fun, just for the sake of fun, is needed to keep you and your partner’s spirits alive. You can’t revolve 100% of your life to your child, you need to keep a little bit for yourself as well.

Tip #3: Accept Help, Even if it Kills You.

This one is hard for me, I am not good at asking for or accepting help. It’s just not in my nature to ask for anything from others, I like to be in control. But when there is a newborn in the house, you have to let that go and accept what you can get. Let someone take over for awhile so that you can take a nap, take up the offer of a free home-cooked meal, or even    have your parents watch the baby for an hour so you can nap. Really, you need it.

With UPRIGHT, you have a daly goal for posture training that gradually increases over time, so itOs really double to get started. When you check them out, make sure to sign up for their mailing list so you can eat a discount on your purchase!

I hope these new parent tips help you feel a little more at peace in your first few weeks as a parent! You can do this, dont worry.

What parenting tips do you have for new parents? I’d love to know your thoughts.

• Debra

How does that help you not slouch? I am so curious. I’ve never heard of that product before

October 19, 2016 at 2:42 pm Reply
    • Cid

Hi Debra, my name is Cidney and I work at UPRIGHT: The smart device is smaller than your hand and sticks to your upper or lower back on your spine to feel the curves or bends in your back, when the smart device detects your posture change to an improper position, it will buzz to alert you to sit upright straight, or rather, Upright :) Feel welcome to email us with any other questions!

October 20, 2016 at 2:28 am Reply
      Twitter:

It’s incredibly easy to use, all you do is apply it with adhesive (provided) to your lower back and it vibrates when you are slouching. It helps you self-correct for as long as you are wearing it, so you become more aware of your body and staying upright.

October 20, 2016 at 6:55 am Reply
  • Charlotte
    Twitter:

The first month is both the scariest and best time I think, finding your feet as a family can really bring you closer together, what a great product too! it is important to have good posture as the baby grows up so it doesn’t injure your back!
    Charlotte recently posted..20 Spooktacular and Free Halloween PrintablesMy Profile

October 19, 2016 at 5:31 pm Reply
  • karen
    Twitter:

Accepting help has got to be the best tip! Take a break. Let someone who loves you give some support. Makes a major difference!

October 19, 2016 at 6:19 pm Reply
  • Shelby

These tips are great. I’ll have to share them with my pregnant friends.

October 19, 2016 at 7:36 pm Reply
  • Jena Proctor

That first month can be so hard! These are great tips and I need to check out upright!

October 19, 2016 at 9:00 pm Reply
  • Amanda
    Twitter:

It took me months, possibly the full first year to learn these tips! You’re off to a great start if you already understand the importance of these things. Congrats on your first month & a half of parenthood! It’s a wild & wonderful ride. 😉

October 19, 2016 at 10:11 pm Reply
  • HilLesha
    Twitter:

You’re spot-on with these tips! I couldn’t agree more that keeping up with your hobbies will help keep your spirits alive.

October 20, 2016 at 2:46 am Reply
  • OurFamilyWorld

I have never heard of this product before. These are very important tips. Self care is very important.

October 20, 2016 at 3:10 am Reply
  • Roxanne
    Twitter:

I think the first few months after you bring a baby home should be focused on care for your baby and yourself. First time parents have a greater learning curve and need extra TLC as they learn to navigate their new life as parents. P.s. super precious baby pic!

October 20, 2016 at 9:26 am Reply
  • Kimberly

That first month is like baby boot camp. It’s so tiring and so much fun too. My Husband and I are about to be parents again! Can’t wait.

October 20, 2016 at 10:30 am Reply
  • krystel

I am not a parent myself but it is something my girlfriend and I have been talking about alot in hopes of starting a family soon. I always get scared with comments from friends and family about having our first baby. So tips like these are great to read for first time parents or people who are getting ready to start their families.

October 20, 2016 at 11:30 am Reply
  • ron

First of all Congratulations for your handsome baby boy! And yes, ACCEPT all the help that being offered to you.

October 20, 2016 at 4:41 pm Reply

Your baby is so very precious! Congratulations on being a new mom!!! I have no children, but I can imagine that keeping your hobbies really helps you to destress. Accepting help can be hard at times, but if someone is offering by all means take it! :)

October 20, 2016 at 9:28 pm Reply
  • Brittany

Congratulations! I wish I would have remembered self care after I had my little ones. It’s so easy to let it get lost in the midst of it all. Even as your kids get older remember how important it is. You will still have rough and exhausting seasons and it’s all much easier if you can take care of yourself.

October 20, 2016 at 11:15 pm Reply
  • Taylor Mobley

I am not a parent so I don’t have any tips but I could definitely use that posture thing for myself. I constantly find myself slouching and I know it isn’t good for my back or neck!

October 21, 2016 at 10:36 am Reply
  • Donna

Yes to all of this! I SO agree with the self care and accepting help when its offered. I had a hard time with my eldest when she was born because I was so overwhelmed and didn’t take care of myself as I should have.

October 21, 2016 at 7:14 pm Reply
  • Foodie Finds Home

Your baby is absolutely adorable. I’ve never heard of this product, and I’m really curious about how it helps posture. My tip for new parents? The accepting help. For me that was the hardest. That and understanding that as a new parent you’re not doing it alone. There have been millions, billions even that have forged the path before you and even if it feels like sometimes you’re doing it wrong, you’re not, you’re just new at it and it’s a major life change and well… Change takes time. As a mom of four it took me a minute after my first was born to realize that. We were adjusting to a major life change albeit an amazing one, but a change nonetheless.

October 23, 2016 at 1:31 pm Reply
  • Amanda Love
    Twitter:

Being a parent for the first time can be stressful. There’s so much that you have to learn at such a short amount of time. It’s a challenging role. I think these are amazing tips for first time moms!

October 23, 2016 at 5:15 pm Reply
  • nicole
    Twitter:

Omg, he’s adorable, Congrats to you. It’s a lot of work but ver rewarding. As you know babies don’t come with manuals, its a day by day learning experience. He will teach you the ropes for sure. :) Good luck! and many blessings.

October 23, 2016 at 10:27 pm Reply
  • Christina

Congrats mama, what a precious baby! The Upright sounds amazing. I am still trying to remind myself to sit up straight.

October 24, 2016 at 12:58 am Reply
  • Dawn Lopez

Self care is so easy to forget in the haze of exhaustion that is the normal for the first few months. It’s the small things that get you re-energized though. Even a nice hot shower can be a great idea.
    Dawn Lopez recently posted..Falling for Fall with Caramel Apple TeaMy Profile

October 24, 2016 at 3:45 am Reply
  • Caroline Moses

Congrats on the beginning of this incredible journey! These are awesome tips and tricks I am sharing with all of my friends and family members expecting!

October 24, 2016 at 9:48 pm Reply
  • Froto

Congrats KELSY . UPRIGHT product is awesome . I have never heard of this product before.

January 24, 2017 at 4:37 am Reply