In Tips, Writing on
November 27, 2016

It’s a Living, Kind Of

How your blog can lead to a new jobI’ve said this before and got some funny comments, but it’s still the truth years later. While I don’t have as much time for it anymore, starting my YouTube channel in 2010 was one of the most life changing decisions I’ve ever made.

No, it didn’t make me famous. No, it doesn’t make me a lot of money. And I know, I have barely used it this year (sorry!). But still, it has been the defining factor in all of my work experience.

Starting my YouTube channel is how I got my first internship, which led to my first full-time job. It’s why I started this website, that served as my resume the year I was freelancing.  Yes, a blog as a resume? It’s a lot more common than you think. Then, it’s how I stood out when I applied to work at AB&A Advertising. My channel and blog has stood as my cover letter, effectively, my whole adult life. Let’s not fail to mention all the cool products I’ve tried from brands because of this digital presence as well. One of my favorite perks is helping brands promote their products.

So I just wanted to say, stick to what’s fun, whenever you can. You never know where it’ll lead you. For all you know, it’ll open you up to more opportunity.

Follow me on Instagram for more posts and life updates. See you over there!

PS, this photo has nothing to do with this post. I just love it and wanted to drop it in here. Ah, the little things.

• Reesa Lewandowski

I never thought to use my blog as a resume, but it makes sense! My blog shows more about me than any other words can!

November 27, 2016 at 7:13 pm Reply

Definitely. Plus, it’s probably what comes up when employers google their prospective employees.

November 28, 2016 at 9:52 pm Reply
  • Laurie

I never thought about it like that. It totally makes sense. I haven’t used YouTube much, but I’ll have to think about doing more with it :)

November 27, 2016 at 9:21 pm Reply
  • Debbie-jean Lemonte

Thank you for this. I’ve been asking myself if I wanted to take on another channel. I want to add video but it seems tedious.

November 27, 2016 at 10:50 pm Reply

It is very tedious, but so worth it in the end. Editing it can be fun too, I love it.

November 28, 2016 at 10:04 pm Reply
  • Cynthia Spillane

What a creative kind of resume! I can see how it could totally impress a prospective employer if it’s geared towards your profession.

November 27, 2016 at 11:35 pm Reply
  • Angela Tolsma

I love the photo! And yes I totally think it’s awesome that we get to use blogs and youtube as our resume and cover letters. It’s so amazing how far technology has come and how creative we can be when apply for jobs and getting where we want to be.

November 28, 2016 at 8:30 am Reply
  • Jennifer (JenuineMom)

Oh, I so agree — you never know where something will lead. And doing what you really enjoy seems to lead to more opportunities and experiences and truly matter! Thank you for this post!

November 28, 2016 at 9:43 am Reply
  • Foodie Finds Home

Everyone has a reason for what they do. It’s awesome to see that you have so clearly defined yours. I wish you continued success in all of your endeavors.

November 28, 2016 at 11:21 am Reply
  • Taylor Mobley

That is so cool that it has shaped the way you work today! Everyone has those defining moments in their career and that is yours! Im sure it has opened many doors for you.

November 28, 2016 at 11:50 am Reply
  • Jeanine

I am jumping into YouTube. My whole family wants to be in on it and do more vlogs and more videos for our blog. I’m looking forward to it!

November 28, 2016 at 12:36 pm Reply
  • Stephanie Cragg

My blog just recently began after I had considered freelance writing… While I was searching for work, I decided to start a blog to have an example to show prospective clients. It makes a huge difference! I’m too shy/nervous to start a YouTube channel just yet though ?

November 28, 2016 at 1:21 pm Reply
  • Louise Bishop

You always have to start somewhere. Starting out is never glorious but it can end that way!

November 28, 2016 at 7:19 pm Reply

Be never thought of I that way, but you have a great point! Especially if trying out for a job in marketing or promotions a blog can be a great resume!

November 28, 2016 at 8:21 pm Reply
  • Theresa

I love that your story includes finding a job from having a blog! I’ve had people tell me that it does look very professional to have a portfolio of writing out there.

November 29, 2016 at 6:19 am Reply
  • Amanda

Oh that’s so awesome!! My blog started out as a supplement to my Youtube channel as well 6 years ago! As I’ve gotten busier I’ve had to put Youtube on the backburner but I’ve continued to blog about things I’m passionate about and enjoy and it’s been really interesting the opportunities it’s opened for me. Also, yes, I love being able to use my blog as a resume/for writing samples!

December 1, 2016 at 4:56 pm Reply
  • krystal

I have received my last three jobs because of my blog. It really is putting your best set of traits and skills online for all to see including employers!

December 3, 2016 at 8:43 pm Reply