Anthropologie has some gorgeous garlands but the tassel one I wanted was over $50 – no bueno! So I decided to make one myself with items I already owned. Doesn’t it look great in my living room? If you are interested in my photo clothesline, I also have a DIY on that project.
1. First, gather your supplies. You will need: tissue paper of various colors (preferably of the same length), cord or string (I used ombre yarn), scissors, nails, hammer, and tape.
2. I recommend starting by hanging up your cord or string. This will give you an idea of how much space you will need to fill. Keep in mind that your tassels will weigh down your garland so you may need to adjust. I put my string up with tape for this reason.
3. To make the tassels, lay out a piece of tissue paper. Fold it in half. Again. Then again. Fold it one more time.
4. Last but not least, fold the tassel in half again. This time, from the opposite direction.
5. To turn this strangely folded paper into a tassel, make small cuts on the paper on the edge that is not folded over. Leave at least once inch of space uncut.
6. Open up the folded tissues paper once and start twisting from the middle until you can form a loop.
7. Add the tassels by looping it around the garland. If you have trouble keeping your tassels in place, add some tape to the back of your tassels. It won’t be noticeable!
8. Lastly, hammer nails where you want the banner to hang, take off the tape, and tie the string.
What home decor project have you done recently? What do you want to know how to do?
I’d love some more projects to do!